Meetup: Belmar Surf Competition (9:30 AM EDT)
From Joe Ferraro:
The surf competition runs Friday - Sunday. The meetup will be Friday at 9:30. We will meet on the boardwalk at 17th Ave. I cannot find a schedule online but I looked at photos from previous times and all are after 10:00am, so I figure that is the start time.
For those that want to socialize before hand, there is a Dunkin Donuts shop on 16th Ave. We can meet there at 9:00 and hangout for a half hour before going to 17th Ave to meet everyone else.
Tips on shooting.
1) Use a long lens to get the surfer out in the water.
2) If you only have shorter lens, you can still get them as they approach the shore.
3) You will be shooting into the sun, so you may need to overexpose a little, otherwise the surfer will be very dark.
4) it is also fun to shot the surfers waiting to get into the water and you don't need a long lens for those shoots.
5) shot in burst mode to help catch the right moment.
6) Use a fast shutter speed to freeze the action.